Wednesday, March 16, 2011

From Steamboat, Colorado

Salut, and welcome to SuperFOOD Me! I'm excited to finally get my blog started, as I've been putting it off lately to work on research instead (pretty boring, let me tell you.) Anyway, I'm currently enjoying my last spring break as a student at Indiana University and making the most of it in Steamboat Colorado with the IU Ski and Snowboard Club. It is absolutely beautiful here, and all of the snowboarding has definitely reminded me how much I love being outside and in the mountains. I might have to share some pictures just to give you guys a clear idea of how amazing it is. We will see if I can figure out the technology to upload a picture.. it's going to be all baby steps from here (computers are definitely not my strongest suite).
So going back to my food blog, I want to introduce what exactly I'll be posting on here and all of the great info that you will be exposed to over the next few weeks/months. I will try and make the videos and written info as interesting and entertaining as possible, because I know most of you would rather spend your time watching the latest Boyce Avenue cover video on youtube or stalking your latest new friend (or soon to be friend..hopefully) on facebook. With that being said, I need to warn you now that my interests and ideas of "fun facts" may not be the same as yours. In fact, I can probably guarantee that they are way different (as told by numerous people in my life), so please try to keep an open mind and refrain from the mocking unless we're close enough friends and you have already gained my approval:). So.. I'm not exactly sure how everything will be organized on here yet, but I'm planning on discussing some interesting facts about ingredients that I'll be using in my recipes and finally demonstrating the act from start to finish in a video. Over the past several years I've been trying to find the best foods to incorporate in my diet that can easily, effectively and deliciously improve my health. These "superfoods" will be the main focus of my project.
I want to seriously consider the wise statement quoted by Hippocrates, "Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food". Personally, I have experienced the effects of my food choices ranging from the most toxic, processed microwaved meal to the freshest raw superfood salad ever invented. As a college student, I know how hard it can be to realistically incorporate healthy foods in our diet, especially since it's cheaper to buy a box of oreos than a couple heads of broccoli or 3 handfuls of almonds. It has been my effort to experiment with these various food choices and alter my grocery list to include items that will only improve my health and mental capabilities rather than weaken them (with a few exceptions, of course). Eating healthily doesn't have to be all about sacrifice and self deprivation. There are a million delicious and self-gratifying ways to prepare healthy foods that won't jeopardize your appetite or your wallet. My goal is to discover and demonstrate these lifestyle changes that can be useful for college students such as myself, or anyone else looking to improve their eating habits, to consciously take control of their health.
Let the cooking and superfood-ing begin.

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment